Back to Nepal.

Hey Everyone

We are packing up and heading back to Nepal next week. Despite what is seen in the news and implied on government travel advisory websites, our trusted contacts in Nepal say that the trip is doable, although it will likely be without some staple creature comforts Carmen and I have come to know and cherish.

The plan is to be in Nepal for 10 days total, which is short but long enough given the critical shortage of cooking gas and gasoline for transport. The rest of the time we will spend in India for a bit of adventure and R&R. It's been a while since we have spent this much time together, and I am looking forward to the time we get to spend together.

I wish I could say I am not worried, but I am feeling pretty uneasy about the whole situation. I think it is just pre-travel nerves getting to me, amped up by the stress of uncertainty with some beloved individuals here at home. Packing is a big job in itself, but with the unstable/food shortage there, compounded by family life here -- kid's school activities coming up this week, packing them up for a long three and a half weeks without us, as well as balancing shiftwork, and dealing with our backyard veggie crop from the garden and greenhouse, I am feeling like I am going to buckle under all the pressure. My body is sending me signals too; I can't sleep (which is not unusual), and I am coughing up a storm.

I also should mention that I have been feeling totally inadequate. How do I get myself into these types of things? Am I really up to the tasks at hand? Sometimes I feel very alone in all of this. Then a few of you offer to help with something and I just feel so insanely grateful. So thanks a million to those of you who have reached out and offered support.

I am certain that all the love and prayers I can get will help me through this time...that and the thought of seeing these guys again.


No comments: