We are so thankful to hear the news that everyone in the Children's home is uninjured and the home remains strong with no cracks following the earthquake today.

The epicenter was very close to Bandipur, just slightly north near the town of Besisahar where Carmen and I started a trekking adventure to see Annapurna II a few years ago now.

Depak and the family ran out of the house around noon yesterday and spent many hours -- the entire night -- in the cold open air. They did not get any sleep as the aftershocks came about 19 times for them. Many homes, around 35, were ruined in the earthquake. We are thankful that the children's home remains strong and hope it can be a place for others in the community to gather or stay temporarily if need be.

They have food and water, but no power. They are very used to living without power on an intermittent basis and we hope the power system can be restored to enable continued communication as the days go on.

This morning when I woke up I feared the worst, and was very emotionally moved by the news. It confirmed in my heart just how deeply I care about this country, the amazing community in Bandiupr. I am thankful today for our friendship and everything they have taught me about perspective, resilience, faith, joy, and generosity. I am so grateful to have these people in my life; even from a vast distance I am so impacted by them. Here are some photos of Bandipur sent to me from Dipak about an hour ago.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been searching for news about bandipur everywhere and was thankful to see your blog. We were there only a week or so ago staying at the homestay, I hope and pray all the family are safe at Bandipur mountain ridge. I am relieved to see your children home is safe and more importantly the kids are all safe, thanks for posting this news.